You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to tell the difference between USB C cables

Is there a difference between the cable I use to connect my MacBook Pro to the electrical charger and the cable I use to connect the MacBook Pro to an iPad? Both are USB C to USB C cables, aren't they?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 11:01 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 11:10 AM

While USB-C connectors conform to a single standard, cables are not necessarily the same. USB-C cables can be wired to support different services - including one or more of Data, Power, Video, Thunderbolt and others.

Assuming that your cables are of Apple origin, they are very likely to be electrically the same - supporting Power and Data.

Thunderbolt3 cables, with a USB-C connector, are expensive - and the connector should be marked with (as you might guess) a thunderbolt symbol. Unless you have intentionally purchased a Thunderbolt cable, it is highly unlikely that you need to concern yourself with this type of cable.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 30, 2021 11:10 AM in response to Pamela Mullen2

While USB-C connectors conform to a single standard, cables are not necessarily the same. USB-C cables can be wired to support different services - including one or more of Data, Power, Video, Thunderbolt and others.

Assuming that your cables are of Apple origin, they are very likely to be electrically the same - supporting Power and Data.

Thunderbolt3 cables, with a USB-C connector, are expensive - and the connector should be marked with (as you might guess) a thunderbolt symbol. Unless you have intentionally purchased a Thunderbolt cable, it is highly unlikely that you need to concern yourself with this type of cable.

How to tell the difference between USB C cables

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.