You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Customize keyboard shortcuts for Styles

I am trying to switch from Microsoft Word to Pages and I need to create text formatting styles and activate each style with a customized keyboard shortcut as Word allows. I need many more than the 8 styles to which Pages allows by assigning the keyboard shortcuts from F1 to F8 function keys. Word allows user to customize any combination of keys to assign to a style.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 11:38 AM

4 replies

Nov 30, 2021 12:21 PM in response to StringLake85

StringLake85 wrote:

Lack of customizable keyboard shortcuts for styles in Pages is a MAJOR WEAKNESS that Apple should correct. This is a very basic function. Apple is focusing on fancy ways of sharing while missing a foundational function.

You can ask for new features via

http://www.apple.com/feedback

If the people you send your stuff to all use Word, probably not a great idea to switch to Pages in any case.

Nov 30, 2021 12:46 PM in response to StringLake85

Lack of customizable keyboard shortcuts might be an issue coming from MS Word, but Apple's original design premise for Pages was for consumers, not a corporate application as Word is intended, and not one competing with other word processing applications. At least for the last 8 years, it has been restricted to those eight style shortcuts. I don't have Pages '09 v4.3 handy as I am on Big Sur at this moment, but I believe that even the original Pages application was restricted to eight style shortcuts.

Although you can send feedback to the Pages product team via the applications menu, it probably does nothing more than elevate hope that the feature will be added.

Customize keyboard shortcuts for Styles

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.