You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to backup all emails

Hello,

in my iMac I use Apple Mail to manage two mailboxes.

I would like to entirely back these two mailboxes, including all subfolders, i.e. Archive, Sent, ....

Shall I just make a backup of the folder $HOME/Library/Mail or is there anything else to do?

Please advise,

Thanks,

Dan

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 4:00 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 4:40 AM

> Shall I just make a backup of the folder $HOME/Library/Mail

Yes, that has worked (another approach might be to export/import from Mail but I have not used that).

When doing a clean install I have just zipped ~/Library/Mail and then expanded and imported that to a new macOS Mail.app (I have then moved local mail to an upper level and deleted imported gmail which is online anyway).

A few years ago it was enough to just put the Mail folder back at ~/Library but that does not work anymore. AFAIR in El Capitan to Mojave I ended up using Emailchemy to convert the mail because then none of the workflows mentioned above worked 100% -- I either got missed or duplicated messages).

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 1, 2021 4:40 AM in response to pinocativo

> Shall I just make a backup of the folder $HOME/Library/Mail

Yes, that has worked (another approach might be to export/import from Mail but I have not used that).

When doing a clean install I have just zipped ~/Library/Mail and then expanded and imported that to a new macOS Mail.app (I have then moved local mail to an upper level and deleted imported gmail which is online anyway).

A few years ago it was enough to just put the Mail folder back at ~/Library but that does not work anymore. AFAIR in El Capitan to Mojave I ended up using Emailchemy to convert the mail because then none of the workflows mentioned above worked 100% -- I either got missed or duplicated messages).

How to backup all emails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.