You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfering Data from Old Mac to New Mac Manually

I was thinking about getting a new M1 iMac soon and I was thinking about migrating my data from my mid-2012 MacBook Pro to the new one manually using an external hard drive. Does the CPU matter?because my MacBook has an Intel Core i5 processor. Will I need to get the iMac without pre-installed software in order to do this?

Here's one example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHuOU5LgR-w

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 8:46 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 8:52 PM

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

Yes, you can manually move files. See: "Use the Finder to drag files" in Other ways to back up and restore files - Apple Support.

For this, you'll need an external hard drive. I would recommend a high quality one, such as the SanDisk Professional G-DRIVE - Western Digital.

You can also restore using Time Machine: Setup Assistant and Migration Assistant - Apple Community.

Jack

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 1, 2021 8:52 PM in response to EdTommy128

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

Yes, you can manually move files. See: "Use the Finder to drag files" in Other ways to back up and restore files - Apple Support.

For this, you'll need an external hard drive. I would recommend a high quality one, such as the SanDisk Professional G-DRIVE - Western Digital.

You can also restore using Time Machine: Setup Assistant and Migration Assistant - Apple Community.

Jack

Transfering Data from Old Mac to New Mac Manually

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.