You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Receiving multiple verification codes simultaneously trying to login to icloud on restored macbook pro (2012)

I recently restored my 2012 macbook pro and started fresh instead of syncing from back up. When I go to sign in to my icloud it says to enter the verification code from my trusted device, which I have verified is my phone number as I am able to login to apple through the browser.

I never receive a verification code, have waited up to 30 min to test it, so I hit enter again and then I will receive a code, it won't work then every time I try to enter again I get two codes simultaneously, none of which have worked....

Oh and the OS is super old due to hiccups during restoring so need a system update but can't without signing in to icloud.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 10:11 PM

6 replies

Dec 2, 2021 8:21 PM in response to kyliek27

The recent code will work the time duration to enter in the fields is approximately 2 minutes , the previous code will loose its efficiency as 30 minutes have gone by , for the recent code enter in the fields quickly .

Make sure Mac OS is upgraded Upgrade to macOS Monterey - Official Apple Support

And also updated Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support

As per the article Availability of two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

How to turn on two-factor authentication for your Apple ID

You can use two-factor authentication with your Apple ID if you have a device that's using the latest iOS or macOS, or if you have access to a web browser and a phone number.* Learn how to turn on two-factor authentication on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac, and about its minimum recommended system requirements.

Note : make sure you have disabled passcode in iPhone .

You must have signed in with same Apple ID and password on iPhone / Mac , the code can also be received from Mac , click on get a verification code .

See this article also Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

What if I use two-factor authentication on a device running older software?

If you use two-factor authentication with devices running older OS versions—like an Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation)—you might be asked to add your six-digit verification code to the end of your password when signing in. Get your verification code from a trusted device running iOS 9 and later or OS X El Capitan and later, or have it sent to your trusted phone number. Then type your password followed by the six-digit verification code directly into the password field.

Dec 3, 2021 3:29 PM in response to tygb

I have two-step verification set up so that it sends a text to my phone, I can login to this discussion base through a web browser and have no problem receiving a verification code to my phone to do that.

As for signing into icloud on my laptop I don't receive a verification code once it prompts that one has been sent, I have waited up to 30 minutes for one and nothing arrives.

The laptop is currently running Version 10.8.5 due to the restoring process, I cannot update to a newer version without logging into icloud. It is the system where you type your password followed by the six digits into the password field.

Since I don't receive a code I simply hit enter again with a random 6 digit number since I never received one. Then my phone (I do not own an iphone so it sends via text) will receive either one or two verification codes. I will then put in the most recent verification code, it will state it is wrong and then I receive two more verification codes at the exact same time.

And to clarify I have to sign in to icloud in order to access the app store where I can get system updates.

And when I get two verification codes simultaneously I will either receive them from the same number or two different apple numbers, never knowing which one is the most recent. It appears that sending the verification code doesn't get triggered until I type in a random number first because just hitting enter with only the password just prompts the same response of to enter password followed by verification code. I have also tried going with the less recent verification code when I receive double but nothing works it always says it wrong and continues to send two more codes each time.

I have attempted multiple different approaches to see if something would work and have waited 24hours between each attempt to allow time for the codes to balance out again.

Receiving multiple verification codes simultaneously trying to login to icloud on restored macbook pro (2012)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.