You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does an apple watch with family set up (for an elder who lives in a different state) require the paired phone to be nearby for any reason?

I understand that with family setup, I must pair and configure the apple watch for a family member (in this case, my elderly mother who lives in another state) with an iphone. She has no use for her own iphone, and refuses to carry it around, but the watch is small enough that she is willing - so family setup makes more sense.

If I do so with my phone while I am visiting, but then take the paired phone away with me, will there be a point where my phone is necessary for her watch to work? Can I change settings remotely, download updates etc, or do they have to be on the same wifi network to do so? How likely is it that it would stop functioning for any reason without the paired phone available?

Apple Watch Series 4

Posted on Dec 2, 2021 10:27 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 4:57 PM

Hi moosiebug,

We understand you have questions about setting up an Apple watch for Samily Setup. We're happy to offer some guidance.

When you set up an Apple Watch through Family Setup, the watch gets its own cellular plan assigned to it, so you do not need to have your phone near it to use things like phone calls and messages.

Set up an Apple Watch for a family member

You can manage settings and updates through the Watch app on the iPhone you set the watch up with. Check out the "Manage a Family Member's Apple Watch" section here: Set up a family member’s Apple Watch

It is unlikely to stop functioning, as the purpose of Apple Watch Family Setup, is to setup and activate a plan on an Apple watch so it does not need an iPhone to work.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 3, 2021 4:57 PM in response to moosiebug

Hi moosiebug,

We understand you have questions about setting up an Apple watch for Samily Setup. We're happy to offer some guidance.

When you set up an Apple Watch through Family Setup, the watch gets its own cellular plan assigned to it, so you do not need to have your phone near it to use things like phone calls and messages.

Set up an Apple Watch for a family member

You can manage settings and updates through the Watch app on the iPhone you set the watch up with. Check out the "Manage a Family Member's Apple Watch" section here: Set up a family member’s Apple Watch

It is unlikely to stop functioning, as the purpose of Apple Watch Family Setup, is to setup and activate a plan on an Apple watch so it does not need an iPhone to work.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Does an apple watch with family set up (for an elder who lives in a different state) require the paired phone to be nearby for any reason?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.