You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Ipad-Air 4th gen be paired with Dell UltraSharp 27 4K USB-C Monitor -U2720Q/U2720QM without need for adapter.

Hello,

I recently bought "Dell UltraSharp 27 4K USB-C Monitor -U2720Q/U2720QM" which has USB-C input port.

Manual for same can be found at https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_electronics_accessories/esuprt_electronics_accessories_monitors/dell-u2720q-monitor_user%27s-guide_en-us.pdf

I thought that since Ipad-Air 4th Gen has an USB-C port and the above mentioned monitor too has USB-C, I should be able to just have an USB-C cable and attach them to get the connectivity.

Hence I took of the USB-C cable that was shipped with the power-supply and connected them.

However, upon doing this, I see that though the IPAD is charging, the monitor declares that there is no input signal at it's USB-C port.

Could someone advice what the issue could be.

I contacted customer support and they say that I need to buy an adapter. My understanding if both ends are based on USB-C why do I need to buy any adapter.

Thanks

Srikanth

iPad Air, iPadOS 15

Posted on Dec 4, 2021 2:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2021 3:16 AM

Your iPad Air4 supports DisplayPort Alternate Mode over USB-C. Whether or not the attached monitor is compatible, without use of an adapter, will be determined by the Monitor specifications and settings.

This support page may clarify the capabilities of your iPad - and what you’ll be looking for from your monitor:

Charge and connect with the USB-C port on your iPad - Apple Support

You will need to ensure that you have an appropriate USB-C cable - as, contrary to popular myth, USB-C cables are not all the same; a standard charging cable is unlikely to be adequate. You’ll find details of required cables in the linked support page.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 4, 2021 3:16 AM in response to srikanth271

Your iPad Air4 supports DisplayPort Alternate Mode over USB-C. Whether or not the attached monitor is compatible, without use of an adapter, will be determined by the Monitor specifications and settings.

This support page may clarify the capabilities of your iPad - and what you’ll be looking for from your monitor:

Charge and connect with the USB-C port on your iPad - Apple Support

You will need to ensure that you have an appropriate USB-C cable - as, contrary to popular myth, USB-C cables are not all the same; a standard charging cable is unlikely to be adequate. You’ll find details of required cables in the linked support page.

Can Ipad-Air 4th gen be paired with Dell UltraSharp 27 4K USB-C Monitor -U2720Q/U2720QM without need for adapter.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.