You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

transferring music from an old IPad to a new one using PC back up

I have a ton of music which I copied from CD's on to Itunes/Ipad. When doing a backup Ipad to my PC these items are not synced. Can anybody help pls?

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on Dec 9, 2021 1:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2021 3:36 AM

Do you mean I will not be able to transfer my music (except what I downloaded through Itunes) from my Ipad2 to my Ipad air through doing a back-up using my PC?

If this is correct, is then the only way to do it to manually i.e. read/copy all my CD's (again) into my computer at first and then I can easily transfer them to my new Ipad (restore from backup?)?

Thanks

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 9, 2021 3:36 AM in response to LotusPilot

Do you mean I will not be able to transfer my music (except what I downloaded through Itunes) from my Ipad2 to my Ipad air through doing a back-up using my PC?

If this is correct, is then the only way to do it to manually i.e. read/copy all my CD's (again) into my computer at first and then I can easily transfer them to my new Ipad (restore from backup?)?

Thanks

Dec 9, 2021 4:08 AM in response to Herbinski

To be absolutely clear, an iTunes or iCloud backup of your iPad will not include the music stored on your iPad. The backup will include a record of music downloaded directly to your iPad from the iTunes service, but not the music itself.

The backup record facilitates media, if still available in the iTunes Store, to be automatically downloaded again by an iPad that is signed-in with the same AppleID.

If you don’t still have the iTunes Music Library that includes your “ripped” CDs - then you’ll not be able to natively restore your CD collection from your computer without access to your original CDs.

If you use iTunes to transfer media from PC/Mac to iPad/iPhone, you either need to keep your iTunes Music Library accessible on your computer - or be prepared to recreate the Library, from original media, if necessary.

Should you look for it, you may find third-party PC software capable of “backing up” locally stored music on your Apple devices to a new iPad - but this cannot be discussed within these Support Communities.

Dec 9, 2021 3:18 AM in response to Herbinski

Your music is not included in your iCloud or iTunes iPad backup. Neither can music already stored on your iPad be directly transferred from old to new device.

Music that you have presumably (and entirely legitimately) copied from CD, to the iTunes Music Library on your PC/Mac computer, is a “managed” copy of the original copyrighted material. Music from your iTunes Music Library can be copied from your computer, using iTunes, to your new iPad or other Apple device - within the DRM (Digital Right Management) controls as implemented by Apple iTunes.

Whilst this may be (and to a certain degree is) cumbersome, copying your full music library from your PC/Mac is an infrequent and relatively simple task; subsequent additions to your Music library, from CD or other sources, are very quickly synchronised with your device(s).

Perhaps importantly for both you and Apple (the latter being a music publisher), copies of copyright media can be demonstrated to be entirely legitimate. Remember, in purchasing a CD you do not own the copyright work itself - but have purchased a right to listen (but not make distributable copies) of the material whose copyright belongs to the Artist/Publisher.

Other material that you have purchased directly from the iTunes Service is automatically transferred from the iTunes service (not your iTunes music library on your computer). This process is fully “managed” and within the control of Apple - and its DRM controls.

If you subscribe to iTunes Match, an additional paid service from Apple, it is possible to access digitally published copies of your CDs directly from the Apple iTunes Service. More information about this additional paid service can be found here:

Subscribe to iTunes Match - Apple Support

I hope this additional information is helpful to you.

Dec 9, 2021 1:50 AM in response to Herbinski

Most, but not all, data can be directly copied to a new device.

Any Music/Media content, transferred from your PC/Mac using iTunes (or Finder on later Mac computers) - or “Paid” material downloaded from Apples iTunes Service - must again be downloaded to your iPad.

The reason for this intentional limitation, deliberately imposed by Apple, is to protect Copyright. In the case of iPadOS/iOS, Digital Rights Management (DRM) prevents direct copying of copyright material between devices is inhibited. This is intended to prevent the creation of illegal copies of potentially copyright material.

The iTunes Application on your PC/Mac maintains an authorised copy your media - whether this material is loaded from a CD, or downloaded from the Apple iTunes Service - and media derived from this library can be transferred to your iThings.

I hope this information is helpful to you in resolving the issue.

Dec 9, 2021 2:48 AM in response to LotusPilot

Hi, thanks for a prompt reply!

Not sure to have understood it though.

All music I had downloaded from Apples iTunes Service has been transferred directly to my new Ipad air.

However the other music files which I copied from my CD's onto my old Ipad 10 years ago are not being transferred when I'm doing a back-up of my old Ipad to my PC and hence not transferred to my new Ipad.

Should I again store all my CD's on my PC (in Itunes) as I did it 10years ago?

That would be cumbersome.

THanks

transferring music from an old IPad to a new one using PC back up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.