You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't setup Hotmail thru mail app

Every time I go to set it up it says it can't connect due to a password issue or login. Yet I can go to webmail and log in there fine with my same credentials.

I gave up on using mail, so I've tried every third party email app in the Apple store and none of those work either, i can initially download mail but it won't sync mail just sits there and no new mail ever comes in. And this is with Every 3rd party app I have tried. I can send email from those apps. Just no new mail. Internet connection is fine everything else works. Newton mail did seems to sync mail but it was slow doing so.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Dec 9, 2021 12:05 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2021 10:23 AM

Keep in mind that all mail apps process incoming and outgoing emails separately. Therefore you should look carefully at all the settings you currently have for your incoming mail. I would begin by confirming them at the email provider's web site to be sure that what you are using is in fact correct. The sad fact is that not all email apps can successfully be automatically set up. Sometimes it is necessary to do so manually. When you do finally get it all done correctly where it works, I strongly recommend that you wrote the settings down somewhere and save them. Spoken from experience. You can also get help in resolving issues from the email service provider.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 10, 2021 10:23 AM in response to homerjeff

Keep in mind that all mail apps process incoming and outgoing emails separately. Therefore you should look carefully at all the settings you currently have for your incoming mail. I would begin by confirming them at the email provider's web site to be sure that what you are using is in fact correct. The sad fact is that not all email apps can successfully be automatically set up. Sometimes it is necessary to do so manually. When you do finally get it all done correctly where it works, I strongly recommend that you wrote the settings down somewhere and save them. Spoken from experience. You can also get help in resolving issues from the email service provider.

Dec 10, 2021 11:18 AM in response to homerjeff

homerjeff wrote:

Every time I go to set it up it says it can't connect due to a password issue or login. Yet I can go to webmail and log in there fine with my same credentials.

I gave up on using mail, so I've tried every third party email app in the Apple store and none of those work either, i can initially download mail but it won't sync mail just sits there and no new mail ever comes in. And this is with Every 3rd party app I have tried. I can send email from those apps. Just no new mail. Internet connection is fine everything else works. Newton mail did seems to sync mail but it was slow doing so.

From Mail>Window>

Use the Connection Doctor>Show Details

Use Connection Doctor in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

AOL has gone through changes of hands now owned by Verizon...

AOL Mail - AOL Help

If it continues to be problematic change email providers—there are many.

Can't setup Hotmail thru mail app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.