You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re-indexing Loop Library not working...

I have Logic Pro X 10.4.8 and Garageband 10.4.4 on my M1 Mac Mini. About three weeks ago, I lost all the Loops in Garageband. Trying to re-install the loop library doesn't work. I have now lost all the loops in the Loop Browser in Logic Pro as well.

Having searched on various forums - I have deleted the database file in Music > Audio Music Apps > Databases.

I can see all the packs and loops in Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Apple Loops > Apple

And I can see all my "User created" loops in Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Apple Loops > User Loops > SingleFiles

I now seem to be unable to access any loops in Garageband or Logic Pro.

Presumably, both apps point to the same Loops Library when you access Loop Browser?

Are there any other files that should be deleted prior to a re-index?

I am currently just getting a spinning wheel and a message saying Indexing Apple Loops Library... - and I am unable to use both apps.

Mac mini, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 9, 2021 3:39 PM

Similar questions

11 replies

Dec 10, 2021 1:38 AM in response to phils_worcs

So I now have the Logic loops back (I went into Time Machine and re-installed an older version). I have done the same with Garageband (now 10.4.3) - but still not seeing any loops in the Loop Browser. And "Re-index All Loops" does nothing.

How can I make sure Garageband can find the Loops in Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Apple Loops > Apple, so they are all available in the Loop Browser? This is really frustrating because it was working absolutely fine!

Jan 15, 2022 12:14 PM in response to phils_worcs

I have the same issue with both Garageband and Logic. A have brand new MacBook Pro 14" M1 running OS 12.1, Garageband 10.4.5 & Logic 10.7.2 all the latest.

When I open a new session the loop browser will include many loops, most of which are greyed out. When I run reindex they all disappear (same for the GB and Logic).

I've tried

reinstalling logic

re-downloaded the entire library

rebooting

Reindex All Loops

dragging files from the samples from Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple folder into the loop browser.

deleting the index file from the Library/Audio/Apple Loops Index folder.

Nothing is working.

Please help

Thanks!

Feb 18, 2022 5:48 PM in response to Radarhus

I reinstalled my OS 12.2.1 and still have the same issue. Super annoying. Any other suggestions.

Again, I've tried...

reinstalling logic

re-downloaded the entire library

rebooting

Reindex All Loops

dragging files from the samples from Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple folder into the loop browser.

deleting the index file from the Library/Audio/Apple Loops Index folder.

Nothing is working.

Mar 2, 2022 11:51 AM in response to zafar20

Yes, it's some issue with GarageBand and Logic sharing the loops or something.

I reinstalled the OS, a clean wipe, and then reinstalled logic first, downloaded the whole library. Everything worked great. I even ran the re-indexing and it still worked.

I then installed GarageBand and the same issue returned.

So I re-re installed OS, a clean wipe again and just reloaded Logic, with all the loops. It works great.

We'll have to live without GarageBand until they fix the bug. It's a bummer because GB is great for sharing session with friends and other musicians because they all have it. Not everyone has Logic.

I'm just happy I know what the issue is. It was driving me insane

Mar 23, 2022 11:21 AM in response to Radarhus

Update. I never reinstalled GarageBand. I thought that fixed the issue but it didn't. It eventually happened again. I started using loops and then they all disappeared again. Reindexing doesn't bring them back. If I shut down the project after they disappear and reopen Logic I see all the loops again but if sort them or try reindexing them they disappear again.

Re-indexing Loop Library not working...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.