You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I bought iCloud storage but my iPhone doesn't have enough space

I did not have enough storage so I bought 2TB of storage in iCloud. Somehow I still cannot even download the new iPhone updates because my phone still says I don't have enough storage. What gives?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 7, iOS 12

Posted on Dec 9, 2021 6:50 PM

6 replies

Dec 9, 2021 6:53 PM in response to Fortheliveofgod

Read what you wrote, your "iPhone" does not have enough storage. There is a difference between iPhone and iCloud storage. You need iPhone storage. See these two support documents for an understanding. What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? - Apple Support and this, If you need more space for an update on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Dec 9, 2021 7:28 PM in response to Fortheliveofgod

That is because iCloud is a sync service. If you use iCloud Photos, they are in iCloud, and synced to your phone. You can save a small amount of storage by compressing, or using an optimized storage, but that just reduces the resolution of the photos on your iPhone. If you delete them on the iPhone, it deletes them from everywhere. You need to get rid of more things, or use the computer to update the device. You should always keep at least 10% of your total iPhone storage free at all times for the device to run well.

I bought iCloud storage but my iPhone doesn't have enough space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.