You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I delete files on my desk top to make more room on my hard drive once it on the cloud?

can I delete files on my desk top to make more room on my hard drive once it on the cloud?

Posted on Dec 10, 2021 5:14 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2021 11:38 PM

Files are not kept on desktop screen , rather in finder > iCloud section > Documents when iCloud drive and desktop and documents box is turned on Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Use iCloud Drive to store documents on your Mac and iOS devices - Apple Support

Deleting the files will reduce less space from iCloud Delete files in iCloud Drive on iCloud.com - Apple Support

but it won't reduce Macintosh hard drive space , see the thread to reduce its space https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251789307

Note : you can also drag and drop some massive size files Access and manage your files in iCloud Drive - Apple Support to other location Work with folders and files in iCloud Drive - Apple Support

And also can use optimise feature Optimize storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

Free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 10, 2021 11:38 PM in response to marci_el_don

Files are not kept on desktop screen , rather in finder > iCloud section > Documents when iCloud drive and desktop and documents box is turned on Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Use iCloud Drive to store documents on your Mac and iOS devices - Apple Support

Deleting the files will reduce less space from iCloud Delete files in iCloud Drive on iCloud.com - Apple Support

but it won't reduce Macintosh hard drive space , see the thread to reduce its space https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251789307

Note : you can also drag and drop some massive size files Access and manage your files in iCloud Drive - Apple Support to other location Work with folders and files in iCloud Drive - Apple Support

And also can use optimise feature Optimize storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

Free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.