You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Share my local iTunes library with family member?

Is it possible to share my local iTunes library with a family member? I enabled home sharing (on my iMac) and can access the library on my MacBook and my iPhone (all the same Apple ID). But I can't see the library on the iPhone of one of my family members even that I did include them in the family sharing.

iPhone 8, iOS 15

Posted on Dec 12, 2021 4:31 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2021 5:29 AM

Hi Turingtest 2,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Please take my apologies for not being precisely. It is not about my purchases that I try to share. I have about 1,000 CDs that I started to import in my music library. I can share this files wiht other MacOs divices. I can also access this library wiht my iPhone (same Apple ID). But other family members can't access this library with their iPhones. And idea how I could grant them access to my music library also?

Thanks a lot for your help and your support.

Best Regards

Jens

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 19, 2021 5:29 AM in response to turingtest2

Hi Turingtest 2,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Please take my apologies for not being precisely. It is not about my purchases that I try to share. I have about 1,000 CDs that I started to import in my music library. I can share this files wiht other MacOs divices. I can also access this library wiht my iPhone (same Apple ID). But other family members can't access this library with their iPhones. And idea how I could grant them access to my music library also?

Thanks a lot for your help and your support.

Best Regards

Jens

Dec 19, 2021 11:15 AM in response to turingtest2

Hello tt2,

thank you for your reply. I apprciate your patience. I start to realise that what I have in mind might not be possible.

I usa a MacMini (with my Apple ID) as media server. The music library on this MacMini includes my purchases but predominantly my CDs that I importet on the MacMini. On this MacMini I share the music library in my home network via (general) sharing. This allows me to see the library from the MaxMini on all other MacOS devices in iTunes as shared library.

Also I can see the library as shared library on my iOS devices that use the same Apple ID.

The only thing that doesn't work is that other members of my household can see this library on their iOS devices. Even though the can see it on their MacOS devices in iTunes as shared library.

I didn't use the shares playlist because I don't wanted to included a thousand CDs in one playlist. Copying to their MacOs Devices is also not my intention as I want to keep the files in one place to reduce the used disc space.

Initially I used a Synology NAS and ran an ITunes server their, but this was not reliable and did not really work, though it is absolutely possible that I made something wrong. I also tried DiscStation audio (DS Audio) from Synology but this wasn't working either because the catalogue only showed one titel per CD, even when I could see all titles on the NAS.

After this is started to use the MacMini as a kind of iTunes server. As said, it works fine apart from the challenge that the imported CDs can't be accessed in the home network from family members iPhones that use a different Apple ID.

But as stated above, maybe there is a limitation in the sharing capablities and this is simply not possible. What would be very sad.

Thanks a lot for your support and patience.

Best Regards,

Jens

Dec 19, 2021 8:52 AM in response to JGR_CZS

As noted Home Sharing is for use with a single Apple ID on a local network. There is another sharing method called variously simple or network sharing, which again only works on a local network and allows for playback of content. Alternatively you can use general file sharing so that you can copy files from one computer to another, then add to the local library. This assumes each family member is in the same household and has their own computer for managing their devices. Finally with an Apple Music subscription it should be possible to share a playlist of content with another user. E.g. Share music with friends on Mac - Apple Support.

tt2

Dec 20, 2021 1:25 AM in response to JGR_CZS

I don't really have that much experience using NAS as a media server, but you might try Plex as an alternative to the iTunes service on it. It means using the Plex client on your other devices, but it should allow all of you to access the same collection of content regardless of Apple ID, and as long as you're not working with protected media.

tt2

Share my local iTunes library with family member?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.