You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iCloud storage is nearly full and I don't want to purchase more. Most of the space is used for Messages. I want to KEEP the message strings (text and pictures) on my iPhone but delete them from iCloud. How do I do that?

Everything I read seems to tell me that if I delete Messages (text and photos) from iCloud.com, I will lose those texts and photos from ALL devices including my iPhone.

How can I reduce the use of iCloud storage but NOT lose these Messages strings from my iPhone?

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Dec 13, 2021 6:40 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2021 6:43 AM

You can turn off messages in iCloud. Learn more: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208532

3 replies

Jan 1, 2022 5:49 AM in response to philfromfortworth

My question exactly. It isn't possible. Apple wants you to be totally reliant on icloud. I found this out yesterday, when i lost all my notes. I have since restored my iphone from previous backup, and with cellular data and wifi off, backed up phone to a new program called iMazing. It works like icloud, but keeps it local on my computer. So then when i reconnected my wifi and data, it DID wipe out the notes from my iphone (as all notes were deleted from icloud) but at least I had them backed up locally. I am just going to use my exchange notes (from sticky notes) because Apple didn't delete those...And then I'll gradually merge the backed up notes I have on the new program iMazing.

My iCloud storage is nearly full and I don't want to purchase more. Most of the space is used for Messages. I want to KEEP the message strings (text and pictures) on my iPhone but delete them from iCloud. How do I do that?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.