You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder: Open new window when double-clicking on folder?

Does anyone know of a Terminal command that will change the Finder's behavior so that when you double-click on a folder it opens in a new window? That is to say, without holding down the Command key. Years ago, this was a selectable option.

Thank you.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 13, 2021 7:39 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2021 1:54 PM

The answer is simple: if you hide the window toolbar, you will get the behavior you describe. As a side effect, the Sidebar will also disappear; you essentially get the classic “spatial Finder” behavior where there is a one-to-one correspondence between windows and folders.

Similar questions

5 replies

Dec 13, 2021 7:50 AM in response to docfi

docfi wrote:

Does anyone know of a Terminal command that will change the Finder's behavior so that when you double-click on a folder it opens in a new window? That is to say, without holding down the Command key. Years ago, this was a selectable option.

Thank you.

Change how folders open in the Finder on Mac - Apple Support

Get to know the Finder on your Mac

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201732

See and organize your files in the Finder on Mac - Apple ...

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/finder-mchlp2605/mac

Dec 14, 2021 7:49 AM in response to docfi

The term "spatial Finder" was used a long time ago to distinguish the way the Finder used to work in Mac OS 9 and earlier: each window was not a view on a folder, it was the folder. When Mac OS X came along, around 2000, the way the Finder worked changed, so it became not so much identified with the file system, but acted more like a browser for the file system.

It introduced column view, for example - I remember I was perplexed with it, and it took me a while, but now is my favorite :-)

Finder: Open new window when double-clicking on folder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.