You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro system data

My 256Gb MacBook Pro has 105Gb of system data. How can I remove this? I have Clean My Mac X installed but it never seems to touch it. Surely I can't need 105Gb of system data. The Mac is 3 years old.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 7:55 AM

3 replies

Dec 14, 2021 11:40 AM in response to MikeFrost

From here:

https://support.apple.com/en-ae/HT206996

The money quote:

"Other measurements, including measurements in other tools, might

calculate storage space differently or show storage categories such as

Other, Purgeable, Free, Other Volumes, Not Mounted, VM, Recovery, or

System Data. Don't rely on those measurements to understand how much

space is available for your data, or how to make more space available."

Dec 14, 2021 12:01 PM in response to Keith Barkley

Keith,

Thanks for advices. However, I am an IT professional working on Unix systems over 20 years and Linux few years before it started to be used commercially.

I can calculate space. I can image that something like 10% can be unpredictable due to different temp files, caches etc.

If I have 256GB Mac on which I can calculate how much my files are using and see that about 100GB is used by some System Data, I can say that such things I have never even seen on Windows since 3.11.....

On 512GB Mac now I see that about 200GB is used by something. I checked time machine snapshots and many many things. And it is used by something that I cannot identify. I like Apple products much, but this behaviour is very negative - and not only I have a problem with that. I see many questions like that, but without good solution.

MacBook Pro system data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.