You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

bluetooth doesn't show when connected

I recently installed macOS Monterey 12.0.1, and since then, my bluetooth icon doesn't show when the headphones are connected. There used to be three dots across the icon when the device is connected but no longer. I can not find a way to show when I am connected.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 2:17 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2021 5:51 AM

"It no longer shows the dots to show the connected status. You would have to press the Bluetooth icon in order to see if it's connected."

The question is WHY! Why would you change it? You've now introduced complexity when a simple glance at the menu bar showed whether the device was connected or not.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 23, 2021 5:51 AM in response to alma1090

"It no longer shows the dots to show the connected status. You would have to press the Bluetooth icon in order to see if it's connected."

The question is WHY! Why would you change it? You've now introduced complexity when a simple glance at the menu bar showed whether the device was connected or not.

Dec 23, 2021 7:00 AM in response to phill145

Is the Bluetooth appearing in the Top Menu Bar beside the Wifi icon, Search icon, Date icon ?

System Preferences >> Bluetooth and enable " Show Bluetooth in Menu Bar "

Then one can see what devices are or are not connected.

The person offering advise is just another Apple User offering advise like all persons on the ASC Forums.

It is done in good faith and on a Volunteer basis.

Update - Monterey 12.01 is out dated. A Monterey 12.1 was released Monday Dec 13, 2021 and bring bug fixes .

Dec 23, 2021 7:03 AM in response to PRP_53

Yes, I can see the icon fine and click on it to see when the headphones are connected as the icon turns blue. But the point the OP was making was about the little dotted line that used to cross the bluetooth icon in the menu bar are no longer there. The dotted line was a quick way of seeing if it was connected or not without having to click on anything. My point was Apple have added complexity, when it wasn't necessary to do so.

Dec 15, 2021 12:35 PM in response to jdtweiss

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, jdtweiss!

We understand Bluetooth doesn't show it's connected anymore. We'd be happy to provide information about this.

Keep in mind, this changed in macOS Monterey. It no longer shows the dots to show the connected status. You would have to press the Bluetooth icon in order to see if it's connected.

Have a great day!

bluetooth doesn't show when connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.