You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you search inside files for a keyword for files stored in iCloud?

I have an exported file of text from August that I cannot find in my iCloud or other cloud storage locations. I exported it as a .DOCX file as I recall. I know some keywords in the body of the doc I can try to search for instead.

I have tried using the search options in Finder to do this but it seems to only work on the machine I'm using. That is, Finder returns results for my Mac but nothing in iCloud. I change to "iCloud drive" for the search location and it just sits there, never returning any results...like it's stuck.

I originally created this set of files on my prior iPad which I used to set up my new iPad. Shouldn't all the files from the old have migrated to the new? And shouldn't iCloud have stayed the same anyway?

Any suggestions?

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 3rd Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Dec 15, 2021 12:55 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2021 6:46 AM

Hey Geoff Tucker,

You mentioned backing up the the file to iCloud. Does that mean the file was uploaded to iCloud Drive: Set up iCloud Drive on all your devices. If not, what steps were taken to back up the file?

There isn't an option to search for words within a file/document stored in iCloud. If you would like to submit feedback or suggestions to Apple about this, you may do so here: Product Feedback.

iCloud is a service that allows you to have access to your files across all your devices using the same Apple ID. Since iCloud isn't a back up service, the file would need to remain on a device in order for it be accessible in iCloud.

If the file was deleted, you may have the option to recover it: Recover deleted files on iCloud.com. If it was deleted more than 30 days ago, it may not be available.

Best wishes.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 19, 2021 6:46 AM in response to Geoff Tucker

Hey Geoff Tucker,

You mentioned backing up the the file to iCloud. Does that mean the file was uploaded to iCloud Drive: Set up iCloud Drive on all your devices. If not, what steps were taken to back up the file?

There isn't an option to search for words within a file/document stored in iCloud. If you would like to submit feedback or suggestions to Apple about this, you may do so here: Product Feedback.

iCloud is a service that allows you to have access to your files across all your devices using the same Apple ID. Since iCloud isn't a back up service, the file would need to remain on a device in order for it be accessible in iCloud.

If the file was deleted, you may have the option to recover it: Recover deleted files on iCloud.com. If it was deleted more than 30 days ago, it may not be available.

Best wishes.

Can you search inside files for a keyword for files stored in iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.