You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a 2012 iMac with 2 thunderbolt/usb4 ports. What can they be used for

What devices can they be used for

iMac 27″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Dec 16, 2021 12:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2021 12:52 AM

that model does not have usb4 ports

it has 4 usb3 ports

and 2 thunderbolt 2 ports

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) - Technical Specifications (apple.com)

Identify the ports on your Mac - Apple Support

you can use thunderbolt 2 for display output and storage and the likes

About the Thunderbolt ports on Mac - Apple Support

you can use usb3 for various devices

USB 3.0: Everything You Need to Know (makeuseof.com)

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 16, 2021 12:52 AM in response to Sntkeel

that model does not have usb4 ports

it has 4 usb3 ports

and 2 thunderbolt 2 ports

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) - Technical Specifications (apple.com)

Identify the ports on your Mac - Apple Support

you can use thunderbolt 2 for display output and storage and the likes

About the Thunderbolt ports on Mac - Apple Support

you can use usb3 for various devices

USB 3.0: Everything You Need to Know (makeuseof.com)

Dec 16, 2021 2:20 AM in response to Rudegar

The only reason I say thunderbolt/Usb4 ports is that is what is listed under the about under the spec for thunderbolt. I am totally confused. It also say I have 4 Usb2 ports not usb3. Anyway what cable to I need to use these thunderbolt ports as all my usb are in use. Any ideas would help. Thinking of getting external hard drive but not sure I know which one could plug into my Mac and it’s thunderbolt ports I have.

Dec 16, 2021 2:49 AM in response to Sntkeel

To be clear I mean under the Apple top left and about this Mac and then it has a place to see more. There it shows slot of stuff that you can click on that tells you more info on whatever I clicked on. When I see thunderbolt and clicked on that is says thunderbolt/usb4. I will take a picture of that tomorrow. It does not say thunderbolt4. From what I understand now I have thunderbolt 2 is that correct? So when I buy a device I need it to be compatible with that and then I will need a cable that goes into my thunderbolt 2 out to new device that can use this thunderbolt connection properly. Maybe they sell one that comes with the proper thunderbolt cable which would be what exactly. Thunderbolt 2 or just thunderbolt.

I have a 2012 iMac with 2 thunderbolt/usb4 ports. What can they be used for

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.