You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

migration assistant transfer via usb 3

I'm familiar with using Migration Assistant via Firewire/Thunderbolt and Target Disk Mode or via a Time Machine Backup via WiFi or USB connection.

I have an odd setup now that I am not sure will work when using Migration Assistant:

2012 iMac running Mojave on an external 1TB SSD plugged into the USB 3 port.

When I first installed Mojave on this iMac it ran dog-slow using the existing Hard Drive. Then I found out Mojave was optimized for SSD, so I learned how to install the OS on an External SSD and boot from that. The OS and all User Files are on that SSD that is plugged into the USB 3 port. Works great.

I also have it backed up to another external HD via Time Machine.

Planning on getting a new iMac in January but wondering if I can avoid the lengthy Migration Assistant transfer from Time Machine if I just use the SSD that currently contains Mojave and all User Files. It is basically "another computer" but I can't use Target Disk Mode with just an SSD and I'm just wondering if Migration Assistant will be able to access it directly via USB 3 when it comes time.

Since I am trading in the 2012 iMac that it is connected to, I can't "press the T key" to enable Target Disk Mode. I will only have the 1TB SSD with everything on it.

If not, I still have the Time Machine backup, but I would like to avoid since it tends to take forever.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 16, 2021 1:32 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2021 1:54 PM

Yes, it should work. See:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/migration-assistant-using-startup-disk-with-older-version-of-macos.2236807/

As discussed above, you likely really want to use Setup Assistant which is done during initial startup of a new Mac. Doing it later with Migration Assistant creates a new user for the copied material.

I would not copy everything, only things like Users, that includes app data, but not the apps themselves and system settings

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 16, 2021 1:54 PM in response to J-J-

Yes, it should work. See:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/migration-assistant-using-startup-disk-with-older-version-of-macos.2236807/

As discussed above, you likely really want to use Setup Assistant which is done during initial startup of a new Mac. Doing it later with Migration Assistant creates a new user for the copied material.

I would not copy everything, only things like Users, that includes app data, but not the apps themselves and system settings

Dec 16, 2021 2:25 PM in response to lllaass

ah thank you that was helpful. I should have said "SETUP ASSISTANT" rather than "MIGRATION ASSISTANT".

Just installed Monterey on a 2017 MacBook and did a clean install, I swear it said "Migration Assistant" during the process but I am getting old.

Still it was encouraging to see someone else's tale of using an external drive (not TM) with Setup Assistant. I may just have to wait until I actually do this to see if it works with USB 3 (as opposed to USB C or Thunderbolt). At least I have options.

migration assistant transfer via usb 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.