You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I completed the migration as instructed, I believe, but many files did not transfer (all emails for example) Should I do another migration? What did I do wrong?

Not all files transfered, mail e.g. Should I remigrate?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 2:09 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 3:07 PM

Migration assistant copies the files from the Accounts on the old computer into accounts with very similar names on the new computer.

But if you created a new account on first run of the new computer, Migration Assistant used later will NOT store your files there. It will Create a very similar account for your Migrated files from the old computer.

You may need to log in again with the Migrated Account-name to see your old files.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 20, 2021 3:07 PM in response to Budso3

Migration assistant copies the files from the Accounts on the old computer into accounts with very similar names on the new computer.

But if you created a new account on first run of the new computer, Migration Assistant used later will NOT store your files there. It will Create a very similar account for your Migrated files from the old computer.

You may need to log in again with the Migrated Account-name to see your old files.

I completed the migration as instructed, I believe, but many files did not transfer (all emails for example) Should I do another migration? What did I do wrong?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.