You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I update to ipadOS 15.2 from ipadOS 13.6? (iPad 7th gen)

Hi everyone. I have an ipad 7th gen, currently on ipadOS 13.6. Is it recommended for me to update it to ipadOS 15.2? I’m concerned it may slow down and/or drain faster. Right now, it’s pretty snappy with good battery life that can last me the entire day. Thoughts?

iPad, iPadOS 13

Posted on Dec 23, 2021 7:01 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2021 7:09 AM

Operating systems update contains new features, bug corrections, and most of all security patches.

Your iPad can support the latest iPadOS version (15.2) and you should be ok with that.

Most likely you won't be able to update that iPad wirelessly (the iPadOS version currently running on it is very old), so you should update it using a computer (if you don't have a computer borrow one from your friends/neighbors, or ask for help at an Apple Store or Authorized Service Provider), then learn how to update your device manually if you're using a Mac with macOS Catalina or later, or if you're using a Mac with macOS Mojave or earlier or a Windows PC.

A friend of mine is using your iPad model (7th generation) and after the update, ten days ago, he didn't have any inconvenience.

Regards

Giulio

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 23, 2021 7:09 AM in response to Gon_84

Operating systems update contains new features, bug corrections, and most of all security patches.

Your iPad can support the latest iPadOS version (15.2) and you should be ok with that.

Most likely you won't be able to update that iPad wirelessly (the iPadOS version currently running on it is very old), so you should update it using a computer (if you don't have a computer borrow one from your friends/neighbors, or ask for help at an Apple Store or Authorized Service Provider), then learn how to update your device manually if you're using a Mac with macOS Catalina or later, or if you're using a Mac with macOS Mojave or earlier or a Windows PC.

A friend of mine is using your iPad model (7th generation) and after the update, ten days ago, he didn't have any inconvenience.

Regards

Giulio

Dec 23, 2021 3:48 PM in response to Gon_84

I wouldn’t and haven’t upgraded to iPadOS 15.

It is a mess of a version and many users here have regretted upgrading to it!

I would wait for much later iPadOS 15 versions in 2022 OR wait it out for iPadOS 16 in Sep/Oct 2022.

Even number versions of iOS/iPadOS tend to fair better and resolve more issues of the previous odd number iOS/iPadOS versions.

Your mileage may very.

Dec 23, 2021 6:46 PM in response to MichelPM

Thanks! From what I see, there are people who encountered problems with iPadOS 15, and then there are those with pretty good feedback. In my case, I've updated to 15.2, and so far it's running smoothly. I like the focus feature and low battery mode. I've yet to confirm if there are battery draining problems for me.

Dec 26, 2021 5:39 AM in response to Gon_84

As per usual with Apple, the more updates I do, the slower my iPad gets. I’m on my 3rd iPad now. Every one of them has eventually gotten slower and laggy as the updates come out. I’m on 15.2 with a 7th gen ipad now. I noticed scroll lag right after the ios 15 update. It’s hard to believe this isn’t planned obsolescence by Apple. When this one gets intolerable, I think I will just migrate everything over to a different platform.

Dec 26, 2021 2:13 PM in response to duggyw

After ANY iOS/iPadOS upgrade/update, you should ALWAYS perform a simple hard reset of your Apple mobile device.

For iPad models with a Home button, do a simple hard reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake/power button simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons.

My 2015/2016 iPad Pro models have been just fine and have NO noticeable slow downs.

ALL of my family’s iPads are still operating/running iOS/iPadOS 14.8, though.

No complaints.

Odd numbered iOS/iPadOS versions simply seem to NOT work as well as the even numbered versions.

iOS 11, iOS/iPadOS 13 were just all real garbage. Especially iOS 11. Total garbage year of an iOS version.

iOS/iPadOS 15 seems to be just continuing to follow this trend of bad OS releases.

I do not like the whole put widgets of any size all over your iPad home screens as this makes iPadOS screen layouts look massively ugly and untidy and there are NOT enough more useful and cooler features for me to even consider upgrading to iPadOS 15.

For me OS upgrades and updates have always been about consistency and stability and not always about the newest, coolest feature set.

Should I update to ipadOS 15.2 from ipadOS 13.6? (iPad 7th gen)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.