You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing Up a Macbook Air

Right now my Macbook Air is almost out of storage space. I have over 100 gig available on iCloud. I can't seem to be able to move over all my photos (10,000+). That's one problem. The other is this: I have an external hard drive also. If I back up all my photos on the external, can I then go ahead and delete the photos on my Mac? Or does the external drive just mirror the Mac, meaning if I back up the photos and delete them from the Mac, they'll disappear from the external drive, too? I'm lost. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 23, 2021 6:21 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2021 6:24 PM

iCloud does not provide computer backup or remote storage. An external drive can be used for backup but a copoy remains on your internal drive. You can move files to an external drive thereby freeing up space on your internal drive. You would then need another external drive on which to put your backups.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 23, 2021 6:24 PM in response to thozzman

iCloud does not provide computer backup or remote storage. An external drive can be used for backup but a copoy remains on your internal drive. You can move files to an external drive thereby freeing up space on your internal drive. You would then need another external drive on which to put your backups.

Backing Up a Macbook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.