You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos Library problem on new iMac

I have a new iMac fully updated and had integrated my files on my old iMac to this new one. Apparently the Photos Library was relocated to the desktop of my old iMac and now appears on the desktop of my new iMac. However, I do not think that the Photos Library now syncs with the Photos I have stored in my iCloud account. When I click the Photos app on my new iMac the library opens up, but it looks to be not updated to what is stored on iCloud and my other Apple devices (laptop, iPhone). How do I get my Photos Library on my new iMac to function correctly, seeing that the Photos Library appears to not be in the correct location (my desktop)? Thanks.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 25, 2021 1:32 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2021 9:53 PM

The Desktop is not a safe place to store a Photos Library, particularly , if you are using iCloud and have enabled "Desktop & Documents" for iCloud. A Photos Library must not be kept in a folder, that is syncing with iCloud. Drag the Photos Library back to your Pictures folder.

To make the Photos Library sync again with iCloud Photos, open it in Photos by double clicking it.

Wait for the Photos Library to start syncing again with iCloud.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 25, 2021 9:53 PM in response to MarkDiFelice

The Desktop is not a safe place to store a Photos Library, particularly , if you are using iCloud and have enabled "Desktop & Documents" for iCloud. A Photos Library must not be kept in a folder, that is syncing with iCloud. Drag the Photos Library back to your Pictures folder.

To make the Photos Library sync again with iCloud Photos, open it in Photos by double clicking it.

Wait for the Photos Library to start syncing again with iCloud.

Photos Library problem on new iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.