You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have plenty of storage in ICloud. How do I use it to free up space on my Mac. When I try to do so, I typically end up with less space on my Mac rather than more.

I have plenty of storage in iCloud. How do I use it to free up space on my Mac. When I try to do so, I typically end up with less space on my Mac rather than more.

Posted on Dec 25, 2021 9:03 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2021 11:31 PM

The primary purpose of iCloud is to keep the documents and data on all your devices identical and in perfect sync, while all documents and data are stored safely in iCloud. The content of iCloud will be mirrored on all devices with local shadow copies. So, you will not necessarily save storage on your devices.

The only way to save storage on your Mac is to use iCloud Drive in combination with "Optimise Mac Storage". There is a checkmark in the System Preferences > AppleID > iCloud, at the bottom of the panel. There is another "Optimise Storage" option in the preferences for Photos, Photos > Preferences > iCloud".

With "Optimise Mac Storage" enabled, iCloud will remove local copies of items that you have not used in a long time, when the storage gets low.

See: Set up iCloud Drive - Apple Support

and: Turn on Desktop and Documents

Also enable iCloud Drive and the option "Desktop&Documents" to move the content of the Desktop folder and the Documents folder to iCloud Drive.

To save storage for your photos, see: Learn more about iCloud Photos

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 25, 2021 11:31 PM in response to Patrick7380

The primary purpose of iCloud is to keep the documents and data on all your devices identical and in perfect sync, while all documents and data are stored safely in iCloud. The content of iCloud will be mirrored on all devices with local shadow copies. So, you will not necessarily save storage on your devices.

The only way to save storage on your Mac is to use iCloud Drive in combination with "Optimise Mac Storage". There is a checkmark in the System Preferences > AppleID > iCloud, at the bottom of the panel. There is another "Optimise Storage" option in the preferences for Photos, Photos > Preferences > iCloud".

With "Optimise Mac Storage" enabled, iCloud will remove local copies of items that you have not used in a long time, when the storage gets low.

See: Set up iCloud Drive - Apple Support

and: Turn on Desktop and Documents

Also enable iCloud Drive and the option "Desktop&Documents" to move the content of the Desktop folder and the Documents folder to iCloud Drive.

To save storage for your photos, see: Learn more about iCloud Photos

I have plenty of storage in ICloud. How do I use it to free up space on my Mac. When I try to do so, I typically end up with less space on my Mac rather than more.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.