You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop iTunes from adding extra seconds to a short track when ripping a CD

How do I stop iTunes from adding seconds to my short tracks when I rip a CD? I have great 2- and 3-second tracks that I worked hard on getting the exact timing right before the next tracks. Why did iTunes add seconds when I ripped my playlist to a CD and how do I stop that?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Dec 26, 2021 9:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2021 4:44 AM

When you rip a CD (copy from CD to computer) you get the timing that exists on the disc. This may include any inter-track gap. When you burn a CD (create a new CD from songs in your library) iTunes/Music will by default include a two-second gap. You can adjust this parameter before you start the burn. See Create CDs and DVDs in Music on Mac - Apple Support, the process is essentially the same for iTunes.

tt2

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 27, 2021 4:44 AM in response to impel2

When you rip a CD (copy from CD to computer) you get the timing that exists on the disc. This may include any inter-track gap. When you burn a CD (create a new CD from songs in your library) iTunes/Music will by default include a two-second gap. You can adjust this parameter before you start the burn. See Create CDs and DVDs in Music on Mac - Apple Support, the process is essentially the same for iTunes.

tt2

Dec 27, 2021 11:45 AM in response to turingtest2

Maybe I'm not using the terms correctly. I'm talking about when I burn a playlist to a CD. I've already chosen to not include the gap between songs. What I'm learning is that iTunes for some reason (or is it the Mac SuperDrive?) does not want to burn 2- or 3-second tracks. It's as if the minimum required length of a track is 6 seconds. Do you know how to get around this?

Dec 28, 2021 9:33 AM in response to turingtest2

For anyone who also encountered this problem, here was my workaround. I opened the first track in Quicktime and then I dragged the second one on top of it, positioning it at the front or the back respectively and creating one combined track. I imported it back into iTunes as one song, eliminating the need for a short track. It's not my preferred solution, but it worked for my purposes. Thanks for the response.

If anyone has a better solution, I'm open to hearing about it.

Stop iTunes from adding extra seconds to a short track when ripping a CD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.