You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't see older Time Machine Backups

I accidentally deleted a file, and wanted to recover it from a backup from about a week ago. However, when I enter the Time Machine, and try to go back beyond yesterday, the backups show on the right hand side of the screen (the timeline), but when I click on a date nothing happens. I have tried waiting for a couple of minutes, but still nothing. Any idea what could be wrong?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 27, 2021 9:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 7:57 AM

I'm not sure what solved my problem, but it was some combination of two things:

1. Making sure that the Finder was pointed at the internal disk drive when I opened Time Machine. I don't fully understand this, but I have read some discussions that suggest that the Time Machine may be (mis-) aimed by the Finder's context. (If so, this seems like not a great UI choice). This would be consistent, because the directory I was looking to recover from was relatively short-lived, and I needed to find the day when it was still there.
  2. Waiting. It took multiple minutes to get the Time Machine to respond to requests for older backups. I don't know if this is normal, but there was no indicator on the screen that it was reading the backups, which again would not be a great UI choice, since it is hard to distinguish between "there's no backup here," and "there's a backup here, but it will take TM some time to pull the older backup entries."

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 28, 2021 7:57 AM in response to rpg25

I'm not sure what solved my problem, but it was some combination of two things:

1. Making sure that the Finder was pointed at the internal disk drive when I opened Time Machine. I don't fully understand this, but I have read some discussions that suggest that the Time Machine may be (mis-) aimed by the Finder's context. (If so, this seems like not a great UI choice). This would be consistent, because the directory I was looking to recover from was relatively short-lived, and I needed to find the day when it was still there.
  2. Waiting. It took multiple minutes to get the Time Machine to respond to requests for older backups. I don't know if this is normal, but there was no indicator on the screen that it was reading the backups, which again would not be a great UI choice, since it is hard to distinguish between "there's no backup here," and "there's a backup here, but it will take TM some time to pull the older backup entries."

Dec 28, 2021 3:54 AM in response to rpg25

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

First, Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and try to Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support.

If the issue persists, run First Aid on your external Time Machine drive: Repair a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support. Also, please go to Disk Utility (Finder > Go > Utilities), and select "View" > "Show All Devices". Select each device (or entry shown) for your Time Machine drive, and take a screenshot of them and upload all the images here.

Cheers,

Jack

Can't see older Time Machine Backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.