You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers changing fields to "0"

Hello! OS 10.14.6:

I have a basic spreadsheet in Numbers that I am using for securities trading records, with various dates, words and dollar amounts in different fields. However, when I enter an assortment of dates, such as "12/19,21,22", as soon as I leave the field, Numbers changes it to just a "0." This is incredibly frustrating. (Only way around it is to add the word "or" or "and" between any of the numbers, but that takes up more room/time than necessary.)

What am I doing wrong and/or how can I get around this?

Thanks very much, community!

iMac, OS X 10.10

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 12:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 1:33 AM

Hi Bru-Hed,

What do you want to achieve by putting 3 dates ("12/19,21,22") in one cell?

The slash (/) tells Numbers that it is a fraction. I don't know what Numbers makes of the commas.

The value (as a decimal number) is 0.0000624...

Format the cells as text before you type or paste the dates.

Regards,

Ian.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 28, 2021 1:33 AM in response to Bru-Hed

Hi Bru-Hed,

What do you want to achieve by putting 3 dates ("12/19,21,22") in one cell?

The slash (/) tells Numbers that it is a fraction. I don't know what Numbers makes of the commas.

The value (as a decimal number) is 0.0000624...

Format the cells as text before you type or paste the dates.

Regards,

Ian.

Dec 28, 2021 1:47 AM in response to Bru-Hed

The actual value in the cell is 6.246E-05. Numbers is interpreting your input as the fraction 12/192122 and doing the math for you.

Your entries are not "dates" as defined by Numbers, they are text. Pre-format the columns as text and you can enter whatever you want without Numbers interpreting it as anything but text.

For singular entries in cells not pre-formatted as text, you can preface the entry with an apostrophe like '12/19,21,22 and it will treat the entry as text. The apostrophe will be removed.

Dec 29, 2021 2:48 PM in response to Yellowbox

Thanks, Ian!

I am using a series of dates. In my example, it would stand for December 19th, 21st or 22nd. I thought the cells were agnostic--some of them have text and some numbers so I figured I could put in whatever I want without having them automatically altered, as I do in other software. (Obviously I am naive.)

Best,

Mike

Numbers changing fields to "0"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.