You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can I get my photos that are on iPhoto on my old Mac to my new MAC

how can I get my photos from my old MAC that are on iPhoto transferred to my new MAC?

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 11:30 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 11:55 AM

Copy the iPhoto library from your old Mac to the new Mac and then hold down the option key while opening the Photos app on the new Mac and it will give you the option to select the iPhoto library; it will then open and convert it to Photos.

6 replies

Jan 6, 2022 8:52 AM in response to FoxFifth

We have a 2009 Mac 24".....yes 2009, don't laugh.....and we bought a new Mac 24" and a new MacBook Air. We did the migration from old to both new and it went smoothly. However, the Albums and Special Events in iPhoto did not transfer. While the photos may have come over during the migration, the different folders did not. What should I do? Thank you.

Jan 6, 2022 9:20 AM in response to Keith Barkley

Thank you for your reply. I should have used the term Events, not Special Events.

Folders we created for special trips or events and then put our photos in on the old Mac, did not transfer to the new Mac. In your and FoxFifth's comments you mention "Copying Over", then "hold down option key".....how does that get it from my old Mac to the new one? Is that a WiFi connection or a direct cable connection?

BTW, I do have the old Mac backed up to a 4TB external hard drive.

Jan 6, 2022 9:36 AM in response to LongToDoList

What you should do is transfer your iPhoto Library to the new computer. You can use Computer sharing, USB stick, external hard drive or Target Disk Mode*.

Once the iPhoto library is on the new computer, use the method that FoxFifth outlined to have Photos convert your iPhoto Library into a Photos Library. This should retain your albums and events.

how can I get my photos that are on iPhoto on my old Mac to my new MAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.