You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how best to add external 4k monitor on iMac if Thunderbolt ports are already used up?

Have the following computer: Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019 iMac

There's (2) Thunderbolt 3 ports, and currently I am using an audio interface and external SSD drive on them.

If I wanted to add an external monitor running at 4k, what are my options? I really don't want to sacrifice one of the Thunderbolt 3 ports for an external monitor, considering that I also have (4) USB 3 ports.

thoughts?

-ryanguy

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 3:44 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 4:06 PM

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

If you have not already purchased the 4K display, you could consider the LG UltraFine 4K Display - Apple. It is sold by Apple, and it contains two Thunderbolt 3 ports, one for connecting to your Mac, and the other for connecting an accessory through the display. It could solve your issue.

Another approach is to get a Thunderbolt dock, such as a CalDigit TS3 Plus Dock - Apple.

Cheers,

Jack

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 28, 2021 4:06 PM in response to hgrmusic

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

If you have not already purchased the 4K display, you could consider the LG UltraFine 4K Display - Apple. It is sold by Apple, and it contains two Thunderbolt 3 ports, one for connecting to your Mac, and the other for connecting an accessory through the display. It could solve your issue.

Another approach is to get a Thunderbolt dock, such as a CalDigit TS3 Plus Dock - Apple.

Cheers,

Jack

how best to add external 4k monitor on iMac if Thunderbolt ports are already used up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.