You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music App Starts Up Hidden & Will Not Display Windows macOS 12.1 (21C52)

After updating to macOS 12.1 (21C52), the Apple Music App starts up as a hidden app.

The library window stays hidden until the app icon in the dock is clicked.

The apps Saved State keeps getting deleted each time I quit Music.

Any idea as to whats happening here?

Posted on Dec 31, 2021 4:22 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2022 3:41 AM

Happened to me on my personal laptop at least for a few versions of macOS (not really sure because I don't use that computer so often and stopped paying attention to it). I noticed it started happening also on the current work computer, which I had for about 4 months now, so I tried again some combos to see what was the current (buggy) behavior.

On my machine at least, deleting ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Music.plist does the trick (expect to have some personal preference zapped, of course, and to see the Apple Music welcome window even if you are not required to sign in again):

quitting the app and reopening it results in the window visible and in the position you left it, like one would expect.

Except, if you send the app to full screen and quit the app from there, the bug is triggered again (reopening the app, the window is hidden).

Long story short

1. delete ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Music.plist (and possibly ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Music.eq.plist)
  2. remember to exit full screen before quitting Music
  3. it's about time @apple fixed this (and a few hundreds little bugs that have been around for years now), isn't it?

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 14, 2022 3:41 AM in response to UberFlyOzGuy

Happened to me on my personal laptop at least for a few versions of macOS (not really sure because I don't use that computer so often and stopped paying attention to it). I noticed it started happening also on the current work computer, which I had for about 4 months now, so I tried again some combos to see what was the current (buggy) behavior.

On my machine at least, deleting ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Music.plist does the trick (expect to have some personal preference zapped, of course, and to see the Apple Music welcome window even if you are not required to sign in again):

quitting the app and reopening it results in the window visible and in the position you left it, like one would expect.

Except, if you send the app to full screen and quit the app from there, the bug is triggered again (reopening the app, the window is hidden).

Long story short

1. delete ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Music.plist (and possibly ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Music.eq.plist)
  2. remember to exit full screen before quitting Music
  3. it's about time @apple fixed this (and a few hundreds little bugs that have been around for years now), isn't it?

Feb 25, 2022 12:26 PM in response to gecsonio

Thanks for the tip which helped me realize that an easy way to fix this problem is to:

1. Run the Music app
  2. If the Library window doesn't appear, click on the Window menu pull-down and select Music.
  3. Put the Music/Library window into full-screen mode then make it exit full-screen mode
  4. Quit the Music app

and when I run Music again the Library window appears. So, if using the full-screen mode with Music, exit that mode before quitting Music.

Jan 1, 2022 5:51 PM in response to UberFlyOzGuy

UberFlyOzGuy wrote:

No matter which method I use to quit Apple Music, the problem still persist.
Monitoring the SAVED APPLICATION STATE folder I can see the com.apple.Music.savedState being created when launching the app. BUT the saved state folder gets deleted by the OS when quiting the app. Other apps do not behave in the same manner.

Delete the saved state, then open Music and rest.

Feb 5, 2022 4:53 AM in response to UberFlyOzGuy

This is happening to me too and it's quite frustrating. If I log-in as a guest, the issue is resolved. My admin has this issue when launched, every time. It's odd, the option in finder shows the ability to "hide" but the window is already hidden, until clicked. I just switched to a paid Apple Music app, I want to like the service, but this is annoying.

Music App Starts Up Hidden & Will Not Display Windows macOS 12.1 (21C52)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.