You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

It’s sad that apple is killing iTunes . I have a lot of old music that I burned into my library with foot notes etc apple let me down in a big way

What format that is reliable can I use for my iTunes library that was burned from cd . That has high lossless and better quality I’m an old audiophile and none of this makes sense

Posted on Dec 31, 2021 9:32 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2022 1:49 AM

Hi,

Itunes is still used in older MacOS and windows. What happened to iTunes? – Apple Support (UK)

On MacOS the there is now 3 apps. Music app handles your music like iTunes. You can still import music in the same formats as before. You don’t need to subscribe to Apple Music.

Jim

Similar questions

6 replies

Jan 2, 2022 9:00 AM in response to Ed5835us

Many of the other computer sites say so . So I like to think of apple as a one stop shop and not have to go to other sites to get better quality down music down loads . The idea of using an old os sooner or larger the machine doesn’t work or just can’t update .

so you are saying the new Apple Music allows me to still use my external hard drive ? That it works basically the same as before and I can use higher quality music files ?

thank you

Jan 2, 2022 1:54 PM in response to Ed5835us

Ed,

I am an old music collector like you. I've got about 140,000 tracks in my music library which I began with iTunes version 1-point-something, have used and expanded constantly since then, and am now enjoying with the Music app, v. 1.2.1. My library is located on an external drive. For a few years now I've been moving to lossless files, generally downloaded from someplace in FLAC format, then converted to Apple Lossless (ALAC), though the majority of my library is still in 256kbps "matched" AAC or in MP3 at various bitrates.

There have been occasional technical hiccups, and an ever-evolving interface to adapt to, but generally everything still works pretty much as it has always worked. I don't think there's any technology-related reason why you can't continue to use the Apple music app — originally called iTunes and now just Music — as you always have.

Cheers

It’s sad that apple is killing iTunes . I have a lot of old music that I burned into my library with foot notes etc apple let me down in a big way

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.