You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happens when I block a number?

If I block a number, what does it look like on the other side?

I want to know if the number blocked would see any indications that they were blocked by my number, because if someone texts my number not knowing it actually belongs to someone, then I block their number, and they know it, then they will know it's a legitimate number that actually belongs to someone. Then they might send me other messages from a different number.

I want to block a number by tapping on the icon at the top of the text message screen with the sender's number below it, and it takes me to a screen with an option at the very bottom when I scroll down -- an option in red letters to block that number.

iPhone 8, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 1, 2022 5:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2022 5:37 PM

Blocking occurs at the local level, on your phone for example. Your device does not have the capacity to interact with your service provider to stop a communication at the source. "Blocking" is a setting where your device does not respond to a communication from a specific telephone number or email address.

Apple gives some detials in the support document Block phone numbers, contacts, and emails on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch and adds the comment: When you block a phone number or contact, they can still leave a voicemail, but you won't get a notification. Messages that are sent or received won't be delivered. Also, the contact won't get a notification that the call or message was blocked. 

Further information can be seen in Detect and block spam phone calls.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 1, 2022 5:37 PM in response to madirmur59

Blocking occurs at the local level, on your phone for example. Your device does not have the capacity to interact with your service provider to stop a communication at the source. "Blocking" is a setting where your device does not respond to a communication from a specific telephone number or email address.

Apple gives some detials in the support document Block phone numbers, contacts, and emails on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch and adds the comment: When you block a phone number or contact, they can still leave a voicemail, but you won't get a notification. Messages that are sent or received won't be delivered. Also, the contact won't get a notification that the call or message was blocked. 

Further information can be seen in Detect and block spam phone calls.

What happens when I block a number?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.