You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black Screen/unresponsive iMac Desktop

My iMac desktop randomly shuts down. I'll go back to find the power still on (can feel the motor running by touch) but complete black screen. If I press a key, move the mouse or press the power button nothing happens. The only way to get any response is to disconnect the power cord and plug back in. After that the power button becomes responsive and it'll reboot.

This is happening continuously. This all started on 1/1/2022, prior to the new year I had never had this happen.

I tried to update to Monterey to see if it would fix the issue but problem persists.

iMac Pro

Posted on Jan 2, 2022 4:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2022 4:40 AM

One more thing, 3 hours is a bit much for turning the display off on inactivity, I’d set it 15-30 minutes.

Similar questions

8 replies

Black Screen/unresponsive iMac Desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.