You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Altering photo dates within shared albums

I'm trying to understand what happens to photos once I add them to a shared album.

I've been working on a long-term project of re-scanning thousands of historical photos. I scan them into Photos, edit and clean them up, then meta tag them with titles and correct dates. Then I share them to a shared library.

My understanding is that once I share them to the shared library, they are shared in that exact state, in other words, if I make any further edits to the local photos (graphically or metatags) the version in the shared library does NOT get those updates.

I've been browsing my shared library and have found that I made some date errors in the meta tagging, so the shared library is showing photos in the wrong order. What's the easiest way to correct this?

Can I correct meta tagging of the photos in the shared folder and will it automatically update my local copies? Or is there a way to correct the local copies and have the shared versions inherit those updates?

I'm hoping NOT to have to unshare photos, fix their dates, then re-share them, because there's just so many to do, and the sorting makes the task near impossible since there are thousands of them and they're in all kinds of crazy orders.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 3, 2022 10:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2022 11:15 AM

The photos in the shared albums are no longer connected to the originals in the Photos Library. When you share a photo, a copy is shared (usually in a reduced pixel size, with some metadata stripped away). None of the editing you do on the original indoor Photos Library will be synced with the shared version. And you cannot edit the version in the shared album. Sharing a photo is like dropping it into a mailbox. Once it has posted, it is on its way to the recipients.

You have to do as you suspected - remove the shared photo, then edit and share it again.

This will mix up the sort order in the shared album. You can only add photos at the end of the album.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 3, 2022 11:15 AM in response to David Das

The photos in the shared albums are no longer connected to the originals in the Photos Library. When you share a photo, a copy is shared (usually in a reduced pixel size, with some metadata stripped away). None of the editing you do on the original indoor Photos Library will be synced with the shared version. And you cannot edit the version in the shared album. Sharing a photo is like dropping it into a mailbox. Once it has posted, it is on its way to the recipients.

You have to do as you suspected - remove the shared photo, then edit and share it again.

This will mix up the sort order in the shared album. You can only add photos at the end of the album.

Altering photo dates within shared albums

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.