You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV no longer plays a slideshow of all photos on my desktop

I used to be able to play a slideshow on my Apple TV of all of the photos in my Photos app on the desktop. Now, when I try to do that, it circles forever, and in fact I have to cut the power to the Apple TV to get it to quit. I can select an album and slideshow that, but what I really want is to randomly slide all of the photos. I have a lot of photos (38k or so). Is there an upper limit?

This stopped working a couple of OS's ago.

Posted on Jan 3, 2022 1:21 PM

7 replies

Jan 4, 2022 1:16 PM in response to Jim McDonough

Hello Jim,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you would like to shuffle all photos in all of your albums in a slideshow on Apple TV. Right?

Currently, you will need to select an album to play a slideshow from. If you see the album "All Photos" that may help you to achieve the result you're looking for. Check out Create a slideshow on Apple TV.

Take care.

Jan 5, 2022 5:31 PM in response to Jim McDonough

Jim,

Try the following steps.

Make sure that your Apple TV and iMac are up-to-date.

Update macOS on Mac

Update your Apple TV

Then, sign out of Home Sharing on iMac, Apple TV and any other devices.

Deauthorize your iMac using the guidance from Authorize or deauthorize your computer for iTunes Store purchases.

Power cycle both your iMac and Apple TV. Confirm they are both connected to the same Wi-Fi network.

Sign in to Home Sharing on your iMac, then your Apple TV.

Cheers

Jan 5, 2022 3:52 PM in response to faith185

Not exactly. I am trying to stream photos shared from my desktop to my Apple TV via the Computers app. I can successfully play music through this connection, and I can view individual albums of photos, but if I click on "Photos" it just circles forever. I have not loaded any photos to the Apple TV itself, but stream them from my desktop (iMac 27", 2017).

This used to work but a recent update seems to have broken it.

Jan 5, 2022 4:57 PM in response to faith185

I am using Home Sharing and it works fine, but there is some kind of an issue with the amount of data being streamed. I set up a smart album of a year's worth of photos, with around 4000 photos, and it worked fine. In the next year's album there were 8000 photos, and it took several minutes before the thumbnails showed up. When I try to view my entire photo library, it just circles.

I am using wi-fi via Eero. It is very fast.

This may have something to do with the sheer volume of data. I use RAW and the file sizes can be very large.

Apple TV no longer plays a slideshow of all photos on my desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.