You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old Toad, can you assists?!

Running Mojave 10.14.6, iMovie 6.5.1 and 9.0.9

What used to be easy before Mojave now isn’t (it was in High Sierra). I am trying to save an iMovie 6 project as an MP4 file, playable in iTunes etc, but I cannot get it to work.

Handbrake won’t do it, VLC won’t do it, Toast won’t do it, nor will Quicktime. iDVD will, but I don’t want any themes.

So I decided to try iMovie 9 (previously untouched) but found that I have to register this first (why?), but the link to registering it goes to some seemingly unrelated corporate registration setup for different applications.

So, I am stuck in the wonderful world of non-backwards compatible Apple software.

I would be extremely grateful for any suggestions on how to proceed!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 5, 2022 2:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2022 10:00 AM

Hi, Klaus,

I'll certainly defer to Old Toad if he sees and responds to your post.

Meanwhile, have you tried the following path from iMovie 6?

File/Export/Expert Settings/Share/Export:Movie to MPEG-4/Save

I tried it with a copy of iMovie 6.5.1 project on my Mac, also running Mojave. The above will export an Mp4 file.

-- Rich

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 5, 2022 10:00 AM in response to Klaus1

Hi, Klaus,

I'll certainly defer to Old Toad if he sees and responds to your post.

Meanwhile, have you tried the following path from iMovie 6?

File/Export/Expert Settings/Share/Export:Movie to MPEG-4/Save

I tried it with a copy of iMovie 6.5.1 project on my Mac, also running Mojave. The above will export an Mp4 file.

-- Rich

Old Toad, can you assists?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.