You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it best to NOT migrate data from an older IMAC to a new IMAC to start fresh?

My IMAC is 7 years old and nearing legacy status. I am going to buy a new 24 inch IMAC to replace it. If I use migration assistant I can move everything over seamlessly and without any hassle or additional setup. However, my older IMAC has seen many apps come and go and I have concern that the HD is riddled with bits and pieces of code that were left behind. Old Caches, etc. Should I bite the bullet and NOT migrate all my data from my old IMAC and start over? I know I can download files from ICloud and I would intend to do that....including photo library, documents and desktop. But should I reinstall all apps? Or start over? Many thanks!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 5, 2022 10:29 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2022 12:29 PM

When you use Setup Assistant part of the migration will ask if you want to migrate:

• Data
  • Settings
  • Apps

You select what you want migrated and let it migrate. Please follow the steps in Setup Assistant and Migration Assistant to migrate successfully. If you do not have a Time Machine backup of the old iMac then make one!!! If you are not familiar with TM please refer to Back up your Mac with Time Machine and if you do not have a TM EHD many experienced users here prefer the OWC Mercury Elite Pro.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 5, 2022 12:29 PM in response to wego4

When you use Setup Assistant part of the migration will ask if you want to migrate:

• Data
  • Settings
  • Apps

You select what you want migrated and let it migrate. Please follow the steps in Setup Assistant and Migration Assistant to migrate successfully. If you do not have a Time Machine backup of the old iMac then make one!!! If you are not familiar with TM please refer to Back up your Mac with Time Machine and if you do not have a TM EHD many experienced users here prefer the OWC Mercury Elite Pro.

Is it best to NOT migrate data from an older IMAC to a new IMAC to start fresh?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.