You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Hard Drives

Can I use a 4TB external hard drive to back up three separate Macs, each having about 340gb stored on them?

If so, How do I keep them separate?

My hard drive seems to want to replace the first Mac's backup with the second's.

iMac, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jan 6, 2022 10:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2022 12:36 PM

That being said, once each Mac has its own EHD with Time Machine (the belt), you can use the 4TB with 3 partitions to have an *additional* TM backup for each computer that you bring out every week or two. (The suspenders).

Or use the three partitions to maintain bootable clones using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper!.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 6, 2022 12:36 PM in response to tbirdvet

That being said, once each Mac has its own EHD with Time Machine (the belt), you can use the 4TB with 3 partitions to have an *additional* TM backup for each computer that you bring out every week or two. (The suspenders).

Or use the three partitions to maintain bootable clones using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper!.

External Hard Drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.