You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Display screen going dark

i was just wondering i got a 2017 MacBook Air and one day the screen went black but the computer stills works with a monitor. I was wondering if the display is bad or the motherboard for the display is bad? But I can put a flashlight on the display and can see the os and all the apps.

Posted on Jan 6, 2022 5:15 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2022 5:42 PM

Hello,

Using Apple Diagnostics could possibly give you more information about a hardware issue like that. Once you have a reference code you will likely need to contact Apple Support to inquire about specifics.

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

Apple Diagnostics reference codes - Apple Support

"VFD001 

VFD002 

VFD003 

VFD004 

VFD005 

VFD007

There may be an issue with the display. Contact Apple or take your computer to an AASP or Apple Store to learn which service and support options are available."

I hope this helps.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 6, 2022 5:42 PM in response to Nightmare9112

Hello,

Using Apple Diagnostics could possibly give you more information about a hardware issue like that. Once you have a reference code you will likely need to contact Apple Support to inquire about specifics.

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

Apple Diagnostics reference codes - Apple Support

"VFD001 

VFD002 

VFD003 

VFD004 

VFD005 

VFD007

There may be an issue with the display. Contact Apple or take your computer to an AASP or Apple Store to learn which service and support options are available."

I hope this helps.

Display screen going dark

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.