You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone doesn't give any notifications or ring for calls.

This is a follow-up to https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253530485?page=1, but with more info and corrections for what I was wrong about.

I thought it was originally just messages, but now I've found out that my iPhone does not make ANY notification sounds at all. It vibrates, but does not ring for calls, or play any notifications. It doesn't make any sounds for text messages, reminders, appointments, or anything. That's if it's at home, on the same wifi with my iPad, another old iPhone (with a non-working SIM), and my iMac. The iPad will make notification sounds, but my iPhone won't. (And, in the past, ALL my devices would sound notifications when I got a call or text.)

When I'm out away from the house, not on the same wifi network at all, there are still no notifications at all. Vibration, but no sounds. I tried changing the ringer volume. While I can adjust the slider, it still shows the ring volume as deactivated, as shown in this screen shot:

The mute icon stays there - I can't turn it back on.

I have checked in Notifications and text and ringer are on. I have checked in the new Focus mode and it's off. I did set up two macros, one to turn on Do Not Disturb and one to turn it off. I've made sure it's off - checked in settings and ran the macro to turn it off a number of times. (Other than that, I have not set up focus modes yet.)

I can't think of any other settings to check for notifications and I'm not getting any. I can't find anything that's off that should be on.

iPhone 8

Posted on Jan 7, 2022 10:39 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2022 11:19 AM

HalNineThousand wrote:

This is a follow-up to https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253530485?page=1, but with more info and corrections for what I was wrong about.

I thought it was originally just messages, but now I've found out that my iPhone does not make ANY notification sounds at all. It vibrates, but does not ring for calls, or play any notifications. It doesn't make any sounds for text messages, reminders, appointments, or anything. That's if it's at home, on the same wifi with my iPad, another old iPhone (with a non-working SIM), and my iMac. The iPad will make notification sounds, but my iPhone won't. (And, in the past, ALL my devices would sound notifications when I got a call or text.)

When I'm out away from the house, not on the same wifi network at all, there are still no notifications at all. Vibration, but no sounds. I tried changing the ringer volume. While I can adjust the slider, it still shows the ring volume as deactivated, as shown in this screen shot:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/6830a2b3-07fa-4ebe-9208-a15b36195d1d

I have checked in Notifications and text and ringer are on. I have checked in the new Focus mode and it's off. I did set up two macros, one to turn on Do Not Disturb and one to turn it off. I've made sure it's off - checked in settings and ran the macro to turn it off a number of times. (Other than that, I have not set up focus modes yet.)

I can't think of any other settings to check for notifications and I'm not getting any. I can't find anything that's off that should be on.

Use the side control and turn your volume up.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 7, 2022 11:19 AM in response to HalNineThousand

HalNineThousand wrote:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/6830a2b3-07fa-4ebe-9208-a15b36195d1d

Use the side control and turn your volume up.

Jan 7, 2022 11:35 AM in response to HalNineThousand

D'oh.

It's the ringer/silent switch!

Due to the pandemic, my wife and I had not been to movies or plays or anything like that in about 2 years and I completely forgot about that function and had turned it off when we went to see a movie a week or so ago and forgot about it. (By the way, side note: If you have afternoons free, hardly anyone goes to see movies then. We went to one and the prompts reminded me to turn my silencer on, but I forgot about it after that, since it had been so long since I used it.)

Jan 7, 2022 11:40 AM in response to razmee209

Did that. (For reference, the only way I could get the slider that shows on the screen shot was to do that.)

But the answer is even more obvious - see my other reply. After 2 years, I forgot about the ringer silence switch since I had no reason to use it that long. The reminder at the start of a movie made me remember, but I forgot when I left - had even forgotten that switch was there - hiding under my Otterbox case!

Jan 7, 2022 1:25 PM in response to HalNineThousand

HalNineThousand wrote:

Did that. (For reference, the only way I could get the slider that shows on the screen shot was to do that.)

But the answer is even more obvious - see my other reply. After 2 years, I forgot about the ringer silence switch since I had no reason to use it that long. The reminder at the start of a movie made me remember, but I forgot when I left - had even forgotten that switch was there - hiding under my Otterbox case!

Glad you got it fixed and able to spend quality time with your wife.

I also forget sometimes to flip the switch when I clock out for work.

My iPhone doesn't give any notifications or ring for calls.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.