You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari opens new tab as start page

When I click on a link in a web page in Safari that should open a new tab, a start page opens instead of the page in the link. I have restarted Safari and the MacBook. I have reset the SMC. I would appreciate any ideas, Thanks

MacBook, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 7, 2022 9:31 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2022 6:53 AM

Hello ginasdad,

We understand that you're seeing new pages opening in new windows as opposed to tabs. Under the Safari preferences, check “New tabs open with” and let us know what its set as.

More details can be found here: Use tabs for webpages in Safari on Mac

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities!

4 replies

Jan 10, 2022 5:26 AM in response to ginasdad

Understood ginasdad,

Thanks for those additional details. Based on that description, we'd first recommend having any kind of Safari extensions disabled. Additionally, see if this occurs in safe mode. Here's how to do that:

How to use safe mode on your Mac

This way, we can remove any third-party influence and see if that's playing a role. If issues persist, then we'd recommend that you Contact Apple Support for additional assistance.

Cheers!

Jan 9, 2022 8:06 AM in response to ShannonM1

I guess my problem wasn't expressed very clearly. The page opens in a new tab which is the start page rather than the link I was clicking on. An example: When I sign into the MacBook Forum I can see the 'subscriptions" I have. When I click on the subscription about the tabs, ( this discussion) a new tab opens with a start page, not the current discussion. Hope this makes sense, Thanks.

Safari opens new tab as start page

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.