You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Only 5 family members in total, but still cannot add family members to my Family Sharing group

Recently I deleted an unused Apple account to remove it from Family Sharing, in order to add a different family member to the sharing. However, I can't add family member to family sharing even though I now only have total 5 members in the group. On the iPhone the + sign to add members is greyed out, and on the Mac, while I can click the + to add members, after I click on invite nothing happens.

Is this some hidden time counter to allow me to add again a member? The deleted account is confirmed to have been deleted - trying to login with the user ID shows a login error of person not found.

What could be the issue?

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 8, 2022 12:13 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Jan 8, 2022 3:05 AM in response to turingtest2

Hi

Thanks for your help, since it's a new year for only a week so I guess that limitation you mentioned isn't the problem but your former assumption. I was advised by Apple Support to go through the delete account option in order to make room on my family sharing for a different user. I would have expected them to know of this counter, but probably not all their support reps are aware of this small "insignificant" detail.. As I recall they told me it's a valid way of removing the account from the Family Sharing - you cannot remove a child's account from the sharing without first deleting it or moving it to a different adult's Family Sharing group.

I guess I have no option really but to go back to calling them and let them know of this mess they made. It's a shame they couldn't/wouldn't open the B-Day field for me to alter the date to day before the child becomes an "adult" in Apple's system. Would have made everything easier. In utero, I probably should have created a "dummy" adult Apple ID just to move the child into it instead. Why do Apple make great devices but bug-filled services to support it?..

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Jan 8, 2022 2:13 AM in response to talalc

At a guess you deleted the Apple ID without removing it from Family Sharing first. There is no reason to assume that deleting an ID automatically updates family sharing properties in a different account. Somewhere there may be a counter saying that there are 6 members, even if one is invalid. I suspect you will need the assistance of Apple Support to resolve this. Or you could delete the whole family and set it up again from scratch. Note however there is a limit on joining families, which you can only do twice in a year, even if it is the same family.

tt2

Only 5 family members in total, but still cannot add family members to my Family Sharing group

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.