You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K Occasionally No Sound Output When Playing Videos

Recently updated my tv (Samsung Q70A) and soundbar (Samsung Q800A). Occasionally when I play videos on streaming platforms via Apple TV 4K there is no sound output with the video. However there is scrolling movement sound outside of the video from the soundbar. Issue occurs across the streaming platforms (Netflix, HBO max, Hulu etc.) and regardless if the sound bar is connected to the TV through HDMI ARC, HDMI regular, or Optical. If I exit the video I'm trying to play and go back again, sound appears sometimes. I have already tried different HDMI cables with no luck.

Apple TV 4K, 15

Posted on Jan 9, 2022 6:58 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2022 12:44 AM

if it was me then I would check the settings audio on the appletv

if one has set audio to surround without having surround speakers then one will only hear front right and left

if the material is surround, and most audio like voices are played out of the center speaker

Similar questions

5 replies

Jan 11, 2022 6:52 AM in response to Rudegar

I had the same experience with a similar setup (Samsung QN90A TV and Samsung Q800A Soundbar). I did play with the Apple TV audio output settings, but I think I found a better solution. Using high quality HDMI cables (Ultra High Speed HDMI certified), connect your Apple TV 4K directly to your soundbar, and connect your soundbar to your TV using the HDMI ARC ports. Do not use an optical cable.

Here is a link to a Samsung article on how to setup your soundbar.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00049272/

Jan 11, 2022 11:56 AM in response to acrylic_sauce

I initially had a HDMI 2.1 cable between the Apple TV and the Samsung TV, but sometimes the audio would not work. I believe the crux of the problem is HDMI 2.0 vs. HDMI 2.1. Apple TV supports HDMI 2.1 but I believe the HDMI ports on the Samsung TV support only 2.0 (excluding the ARC port). Thus, you could set the audio output of your Apple TV device to Digital Dolby 5.1 so the audio will always work but then you won’t get Dolby ATMOS. By connecting your Apple TV directly to your soundbar will support Dolby ATMOS since the HDMI port on the soundbar supports 2.1, but like you stated Samsung Q-Symphony (simultaneous use of TV speakers & soundbar) will not be available.

In my setup, I used HDMI 2.1 cables throughout for maximum flexibility to support the source coming from either my Apple TV or from the Samsung apps running on the TV. If you use the apps on the Samsung TV then you could use Samsung’s Q-Symphony. I believe Samsung has apps that you listed (Apple TV app, Hulu, HBO, Netflix), but I much better prefer the user interface on the Apple TV 4K device.

Apple TV 4K Occasionally No Sound Output When Playing Videos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.