You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re-downloading iCloud photos on Mac

I am setting up a new computer with Migration assistant. Rather than transferring my photos I would prefer to download them from iCloud on the new computer. How do I do that?

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 6:04 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 7:03 PM

See the article Transfer your information to Mac from another computer or device - Apple Support

You can uncheck the box of photos in Mac system preferences , syncing go photos with iCloud will stop .

4 replies

Jan 14, 2022 9:02 AM in response to ahostmadsen2

Using migration assistant can take hours to transfer the data Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Rather set up new Mac Set up your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

You have to sign in with same Apple ID and password with account credentials , set up iCloud Set up iCloud on your Mac - Apple Support

And turn on iCloud features in Mac system preferences Set up iCloud features on Mac - Apple Support

And then follow the articles Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Change preferences in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

System Photo Library overview for Photos on Mac - Apple Support

Jan 14, 2022 10:30 AM in response to tygb

Thanks, but it doesn't really answer my question. I will be using Migration assistant, that is already decided. So, the question is how I can move everything except my photos.

If you wonder, why not photos? The issue is that from previous experience, if I transfer the photos, iCloud will then try to reconcile the online library and the "new" library, i.e., check for duplicates. That takes about a week (!!) if constantly blowing fans. Then it's faster just to download photos again.

Re-downloading iCloud photos on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.