You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Access to iPad for child

As a parent novice, I need some advice. My daughter is getting older and would like to talk to some friends on the iPad. Currently she does not have her own iPad, it’s a shared family iPad with my details as the main account (iCloud, messaging etc). We have set up family sharing and have an iCloud for her now, but how can she communicate with her friends without then constantly bothering me? Do I need to shut off my iPad settings (my email etc) and replace with hers or is there another option? Any advice on kids and parents trying to use the same iPad welcomed!

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 11:14 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 11:53 AM

Hi,

If you have set up Family Sharing and created a child account for her, you would need to sign out of your Apple ID in iCloud Settings and then sign in with her Apple ID.

When signed into iCloud Settings, your Apple ID is used for iCloud+ Backups, iMessage, FaceTime, Apple Pay & Apple Cash, as well as purchases and downloads. This is why you are receiving all of her iMessages on your other devices signed in with the same Apple ID.

Sign Out of iCloud Settings

Settings > Name > Sign Out at the bottom. Enter your Apple ID password to disable Find My for the device, and choose to keep a copy of certain data on the device upon signing out.

Once you are signed out, in Settings, tap ‘Sign into iPad’ and then sign in with her Apple ID information.

Once she is signed into iCloud Settings, you have a few options to manage her device within Family Sharing. The following articles should be able to further assist with setting up Screen Time restrictions as well as communicating safely within Messages:

Hope this helps.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 14, 2022 11:53 AM in response to Parent_novice

Hi,

If you have set up Family Sharing and created a child account for her, you would need to sign out of your Apple ID in iCloud Settings and then sign in with her Apple ID.

When signed into iCloud Settings, your Apple ID is used for iCloud+ Backups, iMessage, FaceTime, Apple Pay & Apple Cash, as well as purchases and downloads. This is why you are receiving all of her iMessages on your other devices signed in with the same Apple ID.

Sign Out of iCloud Settings

Settings > Name > Sign Out at the bottom. Enter your Apple ID password to disable Find My for the device, and choose to keep a copy of certain data on the device upon signing out.

Once you are signed out, in Settings, tap ‘Sign into iPad’ and then sign in with her Apple ID information.

Once she is signed into iCloud Settings, you have a few options to manage her device within Family Sharing. The following articles should be able to further assist with setting up Screen Time restrictions as well as communicating safely within Messages:

Hope this helps.

Jan 14, 2022 2:47 PM in response to LotusPilot

Hi,

The 90 day limit you are referring to is tied to device association for content on an Apple ID.

This does not have anything to do with iCloud, and is only triggered when a user signs out of Media & Purchases after associating a device to their Apple ID, and signing into a different Apple ID for Media & Purchases to access Purchased Content, Apple Music Content, or enabling automatic downloads.

If a user was to sign out of iCloud Settings and Media & Purchases, and then sign in with the correct/preferred Apple ID, they must first remove the device as associated within Settings > Name > Media & Purchases > View Account > Remove Device.

They would also not be locked out for 90 days upon the first sign out and sign in; but would instead receive a pop-up alert advising them that the device is associated to another Apple ID, and to confirm if they want to associate it to the current Apple ID.

If a user does have a 90 Day Device Association limit on their Apple ID, they should contact Apple Support for further assistance with managing it.

Jan 14, 2022 11:24 AM in response to Parent_novice

Are you both using separate Apple ID accounts? Please see this article, maybe it can help you: https://osxdaily.com/2021/05/26/how-to-change-apple-id-for-imessage-on-iphone-ipad/.

iPadOS is not designed for multiple users, unless you are a business or school, so it would be better to either have separate iPads in my opinion. (iPad 9th generation would do very well.)

Jan 14, 2022 1:13 PM in response to Parent_novice

Unlike other computers with which you may be familiar, that support multiple user profiles - other than “managed” educational environments, OS/iPadOS devices are not intended to be shared.

Be aware that if you sign-out of iCloud and other Apple services - and allow another user to sign-in - you’ll not be able to change back for 90-days. This restriction, intended to prevent account abuse, cannot be bypassed.

Unless you fully comprehend and accept the implications, you would be well advised to reconsider sharing your iPad with another user.

Whilst you should all have individual AppleID accounts, so as to maintain privacy and to avoid unwanted/unintentional merging of personal and sensitive data, including passwords, you also need separate iPad/iPhone devices.

Access to iPad for child

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.