You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine

how do I switch my external drive to backup a new macbook instead of the old one?

When I transferred data from a backup of the old machine (macbook Pro 2009), the new machine (macbook air 2021) got named the same name as the old machine... a little confusing, but time machine seems to know the difference. The external hard drive is full of old backups of the old machine. Can I just delete all but the most recent to make space? I would really prefer to have them treated a separate machines, since I will be using the old machine for limited purposes going forward.d

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 11:06 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 1:08 PM

It is not recommended to delete backups from Time Machine. Time Machine will automatically overwrite/delete the oldest backups as the disk fill up in order to create space for new backups.

Otherwise get a new disk and use that and keep the old disk if you need old information.

3 replies

Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.