You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini wont start up after power cut

Hi all,

Very odd situation. Yesterday we experienced a heavy electrical storm. We had a power cut, then the power came back on briefly, off again, and then back on. Since then, my MacMini wont boot up, but only when connected to the 120V...

In my house, I have both 120 and 240V connectors (I live in Ecuador from the UK so have a mixture of US and UK equipment). Since I purchased my MacMini in the USA, I have always used it connected to the 120V connector. It is connected to a multi socket, along with a SSD hard drive bay (housing 4 SSDs), my electric piano/keyboard, and a small music mixer.

All items after this event turned on no problem (the keyboard has a 0.125A fuse inside it, and it didn't blow...), apart from the Mac Mini.. I tried changing the outlet I used, bypassed the multi output (I think its surge protected as it has a 'reset' button on it that I had to press to get the other things to power up.

Weirdly, I tried connecting the Mac Mini to the 240V outlet I have here, and it boots up no problem! Everything seems to be working fine. I tried reconnecting to 120V, and still no luck.

Its not a huge inconvenience, as it still works (thankfully), but there may be a time where I'm not next to a 240V connector, so it would be good to know what people think may have happened/be happening?

Thank you in advance!

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 8:27 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Jan 14, 2022 8:43 PM in response to drummersteve1

drummersteve1 Said:

"Mac mini wont start up after power cut: Hi all, Very odd situation. Yesterday we experienced a heavy electrical storm. We had a power cut, then the power came back on briefly, off again, and then back on. Since then, my MacMini wont boot up, but only when connected to the 120V. [...]Its not a huge inconvenience, as it still works (thankfully), but there may be a time where I'm not next to a 240V connector, so it would be good to know what people think may have happened/be happening?"

-------

Tried any other wall sockets?

See if any other will sockets do not this issue.

Get a New Power Cord:

There may have been a power spike, causing this to occur (a good reason to pick up a UPS). So, use a new power cord. Though not necessary, I recommend purchasing it from Apple, being they are the manufacturer. Going name-for-name (brand-for-brand) tends to bring up dependability, reliability, and trustworthiness of a device.

Mac mini wont start up after power cut

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.