You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old users deleted/not ported on upgrade from Catalina to Monterey

I upgraded my 2015 MacBook Pro from Catalina to Monterey using System Preferences > Software Update method. After upgrade, it asked me to create a new user (login). But the existing user accounts (logins) have just disappeared. The folders exists on the disk, but System Preferences > Users & Groups show only the newly created user. How do I get back to the older user account I had?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 15, 2022 8:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2022 5:51 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I got help from Apple support (chat/phone) and they diagnosed the issue:

I had 2 volumes on disk. Say V1 and V2. existing macOS catalina was on V1. Somewhere during upgrade process I must have chosen to install Monterey on V2 (may be even create it and then install). So all I had to do was erase / delete V2 - which had no other data and it booted back to Catalina using v1.

I have subsequently upgraded to Monterey installing int on V1. No issues.

Now I think easier fix could be to set V1 as startup disk? (i could not try it, but I am guessing it would have worked).

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 17, 2022 5:51 AM in response to lllaass

Thanks for the reply.

I got help from Apple support (chat/phone) and they diagnosed the issue:

I had 2 volumes on disk. Say V1 and V2. existing macOS catalina was on V1. Somewhere during upgrade process I must have chosen to install Monterey on V2 (may be even create it and then install). So all I had to do was erase / delete V2 - which had no other data and it booted back to Catalina using v1.

I have subsequently upgraded to Monterey installing int on V1. No issues.

Now I think easier fix could be to set V1 as startup disk? (i could not try it, but I am guessing it would have worked).

Old users deleted/not ported on upgrade from Catalina to Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.