You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text in mail replaced by question marks in boxes

I recently just opened my mail again and out of nowhere the text in all mails is replaced by question marks in squares. the preview on the left of the mail is normal text only if you open the mail the text is changed.

This also happens in internet pop-ups when I want to connect to a public WiFi.

I got no third party font manager and opened Font Book but I can't see ANY fonts in it. I scanned my MacBook with Bitdefender but don't have any virus.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jan 18, 2022 11:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2022 1:58 PM

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

The The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer.

Read up on the first 581 posting regarding BitDefender and decide what to do with this Application.

Should “ Certain & Specific Software “ referenced from above be installed - it will negatively impact macOS. It is suggested, to download directly from a respected ASC Contributor, the application Malwarebytes for Mac

It is free or paid for added features. 

Run the Application and it should remove the malware / adware. Once done, restart computer and test.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 18, 2022 1:58 PM in response to jef177

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

The The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer.

Read up on the first 581 posting regarding BitDefender and decide what to do with this Application.

Should “ Certain & Specific Software “ referenced from above be installed - it will negatively impact macOS. It is suggested, to download directly from a respected ASC Contributor, the application Malwarebytes for Mac

It is free or paid for added features. 

Run the Application and it should remove the malware / adware. Once done, restart computer and test.

Text in mail replaced by question marks in boxes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.